Sunday, March 22, 2009

Love songs

The Beatles wrote many love songs, starting with Love Me Do. What about the Rolling Stones? Checking the Jagger/Richards compositions of the 1960's I find only one song with the word 'love' in the title: We Love You from 1967. After that there's only a handful of 'love' songs, the most recent being Streets Of Love from 2005. Sweet love songs never was the Stones' cup of tea, so no wonder they're not on this list of great love songs: http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/table/2009/mar/14/love-1000-songs-everyone-must-hear

Anyway, I think they've written many good happy as well as unhappy love songs. One of my favorites is Tell Me, a big hit in Sweden in 1964.

2 comments:

  1. Keith's 1969 love song to Anita Pallenberg, You Got the Silver, is pretty sweet. Get it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suvkxjhfXuc

    ReplyDelete
  2. As Keith Richards has matured he's more prone to write love songs. Here's what he says himself in his book Life:

    "How Can I Stop" is a real song from the heart ... What's different from those earlier songs is how it exposes feelings, wears them on the sleeve ... And when my voice got better and stronger, I was able to communicate that raw feeling, and so I wrote more tender songs, love songs, if you like. I couldn't have written like that fifteen years ago.

    ReplyDelete